Monday, October 4, 2010

High speed, High Impact

High Speed, High Impact

It all started with a little crack. The crack developed tentacles as it spread very slowly and seemingly quietly, shattering my windshield, my life and nearly my whole being. That crack led me straight into a life unlike anything I had previously known, one that seemed incomprehensible before. That simple crack would leave no part of my life untouched. The lack of noise made the incident seem innocent enough, but it would turn my life upside down, never to be righted again.

In the latter half of February 2004, things began to be different, strange as though something other than me was in control of my life. I would wake up in the morning, or more likely afternoon, completely confused about who, when and where I was. Answers came after determined investigation. I was always late leaving and late returning. I thought I had a time management problem. I doubled up on planning, organizing, and doing what I was supposed to do. I was dizzy, my head swimming somewhere outside of my body.

People would notice was different and not so helpfully suggest that something was wrong. Usually these were told in second person, “Jane thinks you have been acting a bit odd lately.” It seemed like no one was concerned about me, but how I was reflecting upon them. I had had Major Depressive Disorder for years, but my wellness seemed to be of limited interest, how I was affecting others seemed to be their primary concern.

I had been assessed, interrogated and analyzed to no avail. The medical doctor thought it was a psychological problem. The psychiatrist thought it was a physical. I thought I was losing my mind. The police had stopped me more than once for suspected OWI and taken me to the hospital only to be pronounced “clean” with a recommendation to keep better hours and get more sleep.

Now sleep posed a major problem, I couldn’t get any and if I did, I would wake up dazed, confused and incoherent. My sleep pattern had become 60 hours awake followed by 18 hours of sleep. Nothing seemed to help with the sleep deprivation and confusion.

I was self-employed, divorced with limited financial resources. I had to work. My relationships were in ruin. My mother and sister had not spoken to me in years.. My work was precarious at best. It was all I could do to make it to work. My best friend was angry with me because I could not just “snap out of it.” My ex-husband was trying to be supportive while insisting something was terribly wrong.

One day I could not even stand up with a walker, let alone walk. Somehow I made it out of the house and to the ER. My potassium level was critically low and I was given IV’s to correct it. My balance improved and I was sent home to rest. I was told to take family medical leave which was denied by my employers.

My employers insisted I work. Three days after I was discharged from the hospital, the administrator at one of my nursing homes insisted I present myself to work the next morning. I felt I was unable to, but forced myself out of bed and left for work. My ex-husband tried to stop me, but I was determined I had to go. I later found out he followed me out of town trying to get me to turn around.

My last memory before the crack is getting in my car. The first memory after that is the need to go to the bathroom three days later and being told I had to stay in bed because I had broken my leg. Broken hardly describes it. The surgeon later told me I had shattered my femur, the bone in my upper leg. It was the worst he had ever seen.

I spent the next few days in and out of consciousness. I knew who I was, but I couldn’t remember where I was or what had happened. Even when this information was posted on a dry-erase board, I could not figure out the answers to these simple questions.

4 comments:

  1. I have been feeling the need to write about my accident although it is hard because I don't remember much This is just some ideas to build on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is some really brave, powerful writing!

    I really love the opening paragraph. Right away you place us in the scene and the moment and we immediately understand that the narrator's life is about to change. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean when you write about the lack of noise...but I'm interested to read more about the noiselessness and other sensory details you may recall from that moment. What's the last thing your remember seeing? What song was playing on the radio? Do you remember any smells? The crack of that moment seems so central to the piece that I would slow down that moment even more, lingering on any details you may remember.

    I also wondered about the second paragraph. I think the experience of feeling "outside" yourself was well-described but I'd love a specific example. I'm also curious about the process of "determined investigation" that you describe later in the paragraph. I'd love to read what that process was like and what details you investigated in the reclamation of your identity.

    As you revise I would try to look for places where you can create scene. You mentioned that you don't remember much so perhaps "full" scenes may not work. When you can recall all the details, relying on small sensory memories will help create scene.

    This is a really nice start. I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, It is brave of you to write about this, and I feel I know you better. The first paragraph is absolutely gripping; well done! I was also at first confused by the last sentence mentioning no noise.

    I see that a lot of the piece is subjective, written from your point of view, so there was undoubtedly noise but you didn't hear it. I agree that more specific scene setting would help me understand the situation.

    On the other hand, you are writing about your perceptions during this time, and if I am somewhat frustrated by lack of knowledge of specific incidents, I imagine for you it must have been extremely frustrating and scary. By leaving out what "really" happened (which you must have been told and eventually retained) I can put myself in your place.

    Maybe you can, as Rachael suggests, detail some of the few things you do remember such as your "determined investigation."

    I assume you are going to write more. This feels like it should have "to be continued" attached at the end. Maybe if you expand this piece, you can slowly include more details as you learn them, even if you can't remember them first hand.

    With details and continuation, I can see this becoming a very long piece, but an important one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback-this is a really sketchy first draft. I plan to work on this some more. The noiselessness is the fact that I remember no noise. When you are cut out of your car with the jaws of life, it is very noisy-but I don't remember it

    ReplyDelete