Saturday, February 12, 2011

From Ruth

Hi, Here are the last two of the five I am planning to submit to "Lyrical Iowa."  At least one of them I've put up on this site before, and maybe the other one, but since now I'm going to submit them to something, I want feedback.

The first is a truncated version of one I did last year.  Too many "the"s in it, but I'm not sure if I want to cut any of them.  The second poem is a terza rima, (also from last year,) which means it is in a specific form, so I can't make changes without substituting something with equal syllable count, etc.

The reason I chose these is that either they were under 20 lines or easy to cut to 20 lines.  Maybe not a good reason but that's the line limit for submissions.  After this you'll only see one poem a week.


Ashes

A cloud of smoke hovers above him; the cigarette's eye glows
at me when he breathes in and winks when he breathes out.
I don't need this evidence of his love. He survived war and famine
to cross a scrolling ocean and a rolling continent to become my father.

Sparks fall to the floor and he curses in a tongue that's all gasps
and clashing consonants. I fetch a heavy ashtray, cut-glass,
to set on the breakfast table. The sun filters through it like a prism;
phantoms sway on his white shirt like nightshade in the wind.

I pick a silvery coin from his jingling pocket; brown tobacco
covers it in flecks. I inhale the loamy smell of the leaf he carries
in a packet like an herbal amulet. Dizzy stripes, like prisoners wear,
slant through the blinds. My father lifts me to his shoulder.

This close, his eyes reveal a grief he's carried with him since the last war,
when his past smoldered to ashes. I'll grow tall in the light
of my new life; he'll shrink into shadows cast by the old world,
he'll become smoke in my lungs, dust in my throat.

But now my father lowers me to the linoleum by the oak icebox,
my gleaming dime gripped tight in my fist. He squeezes orange juice,
a bright miracle of the new world. I lift my glass and the cold liquid
slips down my throat, rich and sweet. The newspaper exhales as he folds it.
or The newspaper inhales when he opens it. or He opens the newspaper; it inhales.
...................................................................................................................................
   Holding On

July, the leaves are dense with cholorophyll,
a deep mid-summer green, and plums in hand
are sweet. My husband and I keep vigil:

We watch my swelling belly, firm and round,
a melon ripened while the fetus grows,
my sugared blood sustaining our shared bond.

My partner and I are forty and we know
the season soon will turn, descend to fall.
Now I want to feel the jutting elbows

and knees, blanketed in creamy wax, caul
encased and safe--away from the knock
at the worldly door--inside, behind snug walls.

The last time I'll be pregnant, I balk:
I'm five days overdue and culpable;
I've suspended earthly time, I sleepwalk...

A one way voyage through the birth canal--
our cleavage, breath from breath, will be final.


3 comments:

  1. Ruth, I think I gave you my suggestions last Tuesday. If there is something else you want me to look at, let me know! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashes
    Wow Ruth. I think this is one of the strongest things I have seen from you, although your stuff is always strong. I didn't get to this by Sunday, and again I apologize. I think I will start checking the blog Mondays, which seems to work better.

    I like how vividly you imagine this scene and how much it tells us about the narrator and her father. This picture of a tight dime in the fist, or the ash tray that catches light, and so many images strung together make this just a delightful sensory experience. This too is a happy poem, I think, although it mirrors the past and especially the future with
    " I'll grow tall in the light
    of my new life; he'll shrink into shadows cast by the old world,
    he'll become smoke in my lungs, dust in my throat" This look at the future creates a sense of fleetingness to the scene that makes subtly sad and beautiful.
    I wasn't bothered by your use of "the". I think you can find a stronger image to end on. I get that you are trying to end with images similar to the ones you started with, but again, I don't buy the fact that a newspaper can exhale. It doesn't fit withing the rules you've created for this scene. Dig a little deeper, and maybe find another sensory image for the end with some twist. If anything this ending is a let down after the rest of the poem, which is wonderful.

    Also, you might look at the cigarette as an eye metaphor. I've heard that metaphor used to describe cigarettes before. You could argue you pull it off by following it with the wink in time with the breathing which sets up an interesting rhythm. But again, this is the first thing they will read in your poem and you want it to be the strongest image you can make it.

    Thanks again Ruth. Good luck with Lyrical Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,
    What I like about this poem is again the imagery, especially the jutting elbows. I'm not sure by the end of this poem the emotion I'm supposed to feel. This is definitely a mother's poem, but when she balks what issue is she struggling with? I think it is important to know sooner that she is 5 days overdue. That takes the potential danger of the pregnancy way down. At first I thought maybe the poem would be about the dangers of the mother's age in giving birth. The belly melon is again an often used metaphor. I wonder if this form is not just inhibiting your ability to freely use language. Sometimes forms are useful for keeping us focused on word choice, but if you don't feel the authentic heart of a poem beating in that particular form, don't be limited by it.

    ReplyDelete