Monday, November 15, 2010

This is Ruth speaking

Okay, Rachael, I made a few changes, didn't follow too much of advice.  I know, kill your darlings; for Mel, make clear, but what can I say?   I'm too attached to old version?

I may use this for my once-a-month poetry group Wednesday and probably can't print it after that morning fairly early, so if anyone sees it before then, please don't put off commenting.

I rewrote last stanza more than once.  Have more versions, put in the most complicated and the simplest with a little "or" in between.  One better than the other?  I guess I like the sounds of the longer one but the rhythm probably stinks.  I should read out loud a couple of time.  Anyway, here is rewrite number one:


        RESEARCH 
 

She's plump and comfy as a German dumpling,
this issue of the West Rhine with fine flaxen
hair flying behind her like diaphanous
wings as she moves through the mosquito lab.

She pins a female under the microscope,
observes the scalloped abdomen swell until
the insect can't stand on its spindly legs;
it sinks into a satisfied stupor,

ending its whiny buzz and edgy urge to fly.                                       
Now it's time: The student grips her scalpel
and pulls apart the culex, probing tissue
for a mark of dark-stained strains of the West Nile.

Later, in her fevered bed, her lover's
limbs lay her flat.  After she feasts
and her abdomen fills with his fluids,
after glut and gratitude make her legs weak,

he rises and returns to his little family. Then the slump,
the dent in her soft mattress. Sinking in, she carves
stinging scrolls on her arm. In the erupting red,
will she find the radix of this toxic coupling?
or
he rises and returns to his little family. Then
she slumps into her soft mattress, carves
stinging scrolls on her arm. In the erupting red,
will she find the radix of this toxic coupling?

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, This is not one to read before a meal!I like the last stanza the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,

    Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one--I was visiting family in Michigan for Thanksgiving.

    I went back to the first version of this online to figure out what I'd said originally and what changes you'd made...

    I love the second to last stanza:

    Later, in her fevered bed, her lover's
    limbs lay her flat. After she feasts
    and her abdomen fills with his fluids,
    after glut and gratitude make her legs weak,

    I think it really pulls the poem together. It makes some of the poem's early material make more sense.

    I like the last version of the last stanza better. I think the sparseness of the languange in the second version works better with the creepiness of the poem.

    Overall I like the changes you made. Thanks for sharing your work.

    Good luck with this one.

    ReplyDelete