Friday, September 24, 2010

Another poem from Ruth

Hi Folks, Well, it's been a week, so time to post something again. I would like some feed back on my last poem on the one line "...tied to the one that is mine," as opposed to the original version.

For the next one, let me explain. I'm going to register for a one day poetry workshop where someone critiques your poem anonymously. The poem has to be 20 lines or fewer which is hard for me. The deadline is soon, October 4.

A while back, probably six months ago, I wrote a short poem which I thought was finished, and so didn't want to submit it because I'd rather have help on something I'm unsure about. On the other hand, what I thought was finished may really need some critiquing.

Anyway, I am writing a poem specifically for this event. I unearthed a very old poem and have tried shortening and redoing it. It seems kind of lackluster, maybe because I don't have my heart in it (as I would have when I wrote the original.) However, it is kind of typical for me, so I would probably learn a lot from hearing the critique.

I tried a few new ones, but they weren't my usual stuff which is what I want for this workshop. Anyway, I really do need some timely input on this. I want to get rid of the glaringly clumsy parts, and who knows, maybe the whole thing should be tossed. In which case I'd like to post that other "finished" poem I mentioned earlier.

Maybe I should also post the other one to get opinions about which to submit. But right now I am interested in some timely comments on this one.  There are a couple of parentheses in which I've put possible alternative words:

Untitled (as yet)

The end of August is tinder dry. On the path, your steps
raise clouds of golden dust that obscure your form,
already cryptic (distant maybe?). You pass faded blue towels, laid
out to dry, and kid's sandals I've matched in pairs,
each a hook and eye, a charm to keep us joined.

Inside, the oak table is scattered with new red
notebooks and yellow pencils. I clear them
for summer's last supper. Tonight you're remote;
the children eat and run to grieve the start of school,
though sparks of excitement crackle in the air.

High pitched voices fade, and in the silence
I see it's dusk and we have some rare time alone.
We carry glasses of wine out to the thinning, pale grass
to hail the last full moon before harvest,
to breathe in the purple haze of Russian sage.

The moon drops lustrous pearls in our pools of blushing
wine. We glimpse iridescent wings stitch seams
of retreat (shelter maybe?) in the descending fabric of fall.
The force of the evening breaches the wall 
between us.  Your blood stirs, my breath catches.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should use shelter instead of retreat. the s---- sounds more poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I read it second time and liked it very much. Sometimes when I read things only once I can't absorbed it all.--meL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first line, which grounds us in time, and establishes that this poem is going to be talking about season. "Wings stitch seams" is a powerful image. It is awkward because it "stitch" doesn't agree with "we glimpse". You might want to eliminate "already cryptic/ distant." The word obscure seems to do the work in the line above. You could just start that line with "you pass faded blue towels." I'm not sure where these people are in the first stanza. They seem to be walking outside, then all of a sudden they are inside eating dinner. I want to know more about the wall that appears in the end, and why the person the speaker is addressing is remote, but only that night. Its a beautiful poem Ruth. But, I think you should workshop stuff you still care about moving forward with. If your heart really isn't in it, then this poem isn't what you should focus on. If you can rediscover the motivation for having written it, then maybe it is. Do what excites you.

    ReplyDelete